For the next several weeks, SmartRules will be blogging about some of our country’s largest and oldest law firms.
Duane Morris LLP has a legacy dating back to 1904 wherein in it was originally founded as Duane, Morris, Heckshcer & Roberts. Today, Duane Morris in an international law firm with a global reach that includes London, Singapore, Vietnam, Oman, Myanmar and Shanghai.
This award-winning top tier firm is headquartered in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Known for championing women in the workplace, Duane Morris was named one of the Working Mother and Flex-Time Lawyers “50 Best Law Firms for Women,” in 2007, 2012, 2013 and 2014 in addition to being known for its Women’s Initiative Program.
Here are some notable cases handled by Duane Morris:
- Heineken’s $4.6B bid for Asia Pacific Breweries: On November 15, 2012, Heineken N.V. closed its S$5.6 billion ($4.6 billion) takeover bid for Asia Pacific Breweries Ltd. (APBL), acquiring an additional 40-percent stake in the joint venture from its partner Fraser & Neave Ltd, a Singapore-based conglomerate. Duane Morris & Selvam, a joint law venture with U.S.-based international law firm Duane Morris LLP, acted for Heineken in the transaction, which consolidates a controlling interest in APBL for the Amsterdam-based brewer of approximately 95 percent. The transaction marks one of the largest of its kind in Singapore in 2012. The deal was named Singapore M&A Deal of the Year by the ALB SE Asia Law Awards 2013.
- Lehigh Gas Partners IPO: Duane Morris completed a series of transactions in November 2012 that concluded with the $138 million initial public offering of wholesale motor fuel distributor Lehigh Gas Partners LP (NYSE: LGP).
- Markman v. Westview Instruments, Inc.: Duane Morris represented the plaintiff Markman in a patent infringement lawsuit. After winning a jury verdict, Markman lost the case in a subsequent directed verdict for the defendant Westview due to questions of patent claims construction. The decision to reverse the jury verdict was affirmed by the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and later the U.S. Supreme Court. The result of this case is that so-called Markman hearings are now routinely conducted in patent infringement lawsuits so that a judge will rule on the legal meaning of patent claims before the lawsuit is argued before a jury.
- Tobacco Industry Litigation: Along with the Pittsburgh law firm of Buchanan Ingersoll, Duane Morris represented the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in a 46-state class action lawsuit against the tobacco industry. The litigation concluded with a landmark $206 billion global settlement agreement for the 46 suing states.
Notable Alumni from Duane Morris include:
- Barbara Adams, General Counsel of Pennsylvania, under Governor Rendell
- Michael M. Baylson, a Federal judge for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Roland Sletor Morris, former United States Ambassador to Japan, one of the founding partners of the firm
- Gene E. K. Pratter, federal judge for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Marjorie Rendell, a Circuit judge in the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Mark Singel, Lieutenant Governor of Pennsylvania from 1987 to 1995. Joined the firm in 2000 after leaving public service and left to start his own firm in 2005.
To learn more about this outstanding law firm with a reputation for integrity and professionalism, visit www.duanemorris.com.